How to Choose a Great Vet for Your Cobberdog
Are you planning to add a four-legged friend to your household? Perhaps you already own a pet but due to a move or other circumstances, you need a new veterinarian. When the search is on, don’t leave the care of your beloved pet to just any vet. Take the time to compare vets and select a clinic that best suits both your needs and those of your pet. This includes evaluating potential vets, as well as their pet care team, including techs and other support staff. Location and fees are important considerations, as well.
Word-of-mouth is usually your best bet when it comes to pet healthcare. Ask friends, family members and neighbors with pets for their recommendations. Other good sources are groomers, pet sitters, dog trainers, kennel personnel, and animal shelters. Ask them to describe the care they receive at their vet, what they like about them, and what, if any, issues they may have experienced.
Do online local searches for “Animal Hospitals” and “Veterinarians” to narrow down your options. Note location and hours, and research staff members. Look for American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) accreditation to ensure compliance with quality care standards. Search for any online reviews.
After you’ve gotten recommendations and done your research, it’s time to visit your top choices. Use this checklist to screen your options.
- Check for cleanliness, comfort and organization.
- Are the cats and dogs housed in separate areas?
- Does the clinic accept walk-ins or appointments only?
- Do they offer any emergency services?
- Note the number of vets and whether there is additional professional staff.
- How is staff interaction with you and the animals? Are they friendly, caring, communicative and competent?
- How are tests performed, in-house or by referral?
- Assess fees and any available discounts.
With these essential tips and guidelines, you are much more likely to locate a veterinary facility that you and your pet will be happy with for many years to come.
Source: Humane Society